SABC execs call it quits
SABC board member Krish Naidoo, who dropped a bombshell in parliament on Wednesday when he resigned, called for the current SABC board to dissolve, calling it amateurish and dysfunctional.
Naidoo was joined Vusi Mavuso to tender their resignations in the presence of MPs who are members of the Portfolio Committee on Communications.
Both board members disclosed that they hadn’t been party to a presentation that was given by SABC board chairperson Obert Maguvhe justifying the reappointment of Hlaudi Motsoeneng, former Chief Operating Officer (COO).
“Personally I am going to tender my resignation as a board member this afternoon,” Naidoo said.
He criticised the way in which the board dealt with the Public Protector Thuli Madonsela’s report on Motsoeneng’s fitness of office. Earlier the board chairperson said the body decided to take Madonsela’s recommendations on review.
“The recommendations in the Public Protector’s report are binding. She made the ruling in 2014 and the only legal alternative the board had was for a court of law to set it aside,” Naidoo said.
“I’ve only heard now from the chairperson that we’re taking the matter on review, but that should have been done within 180 days of her ruling. I have to conclude saying I’m not satisfied as a board member. The presentation that was given here today was amateurish. What are we doing here? Here we discuss mundane issues. This board is dysfunctional and should be scrapped,” Naidoo said.
His fellow board member, Mavuso followed suit, saying he hasn’t been privy to a number of incidents, such as the fact that 11 executives at the public broadcasters had been given severance packages. He subsequently also announced his resignation as a board member.